What do you think of racism ?

I see more and more racists use scientifical findings to back up their arguments and it made me think of making this topic.

So, i’m talking about racism that is based on science and not just stereotypes here. By this, i mean to say, real scientific studies that are conducted to see if there are differences between human races (mainly Asians, Blacks and Whites). For example, differences in intelligence, personality traits, performance in specific domains, etc.

1. Are you for or against such studies and why?

2. Do you, personally, believe there are differences between the races? Why?

3. If so, what are the differences according to you?

Traduction

Je vois de plus en plus de racistes baser leurs arguments sur des trouvailles scientifiques et ça m’a fait penser à faire se sujet.

Donc, je parle du racisme qui est basé sur la science et pas juste des stéréotypes. Par là, je veux dire, de vrais études scientifiques qui sont menées pour voir si il y a des différences entre les races humaines (Les Asiatiques, les Noirs et les Blancs en gros).
Par exemple, pour voir si il y a des différences d’intelligence, de personnalité, voir si ils excellent dans de différents domaines, etc.

1. Êtes-vous pour ou contre ce genre d’études et pourquoi?

2. Pensez-vous, personnellement, qu’il y a des différences? Pourquoi?

3. Si oui, quelles sont ces différences d’après vous?

Je touche peut-être un sujet sensible là, mais je voulais connaître vos opinions. En plus j’ai envie d’un gros débat :smiley:

N’ayez pas peur de corriger les postes des autres, on est là pour apprendre!

Okay, i see…

Okay, besides is it not a redundancy when said " i mean to say " ? Literally i understood Je veux dire dire / je signifie dire.
Hmm… I actually made out vaguely what you wanted to say because, first you didn’t mention a science which studies, researches differences between the main human races you enumerated.
However i guess human geography. :wink:
Anyway, If it’s a science, known as it, that’s likely based on experiments, logical notions. Therefore, i cannot distinguish any form of racism.

No, i’m not against them, nor i’m for them. But if they’re just done in the way of finding new stuff, they could be at the basis of certain form of racism. Everybody’s different point of view, hence a person might understand wrongly these studies.

Obviously there are differences between human races. Visibly, a Black’s a black skin color, a White a white one… But anthropology tends to say that races are the effects of climate in the course of time. In any case, we’ve nowadays different customs, minds…

Above. :sol:

« Okay, besides is it not a redundancy when said " i mean to say " ? Literally i understood Je veux dire dire / je signifie dire. »

Indeed. Those are things people usually don’t think about when they talk. It’s like saying « au jour d’aujourd’hui » or using other pleonasms such as « descendre en bas », « voler en l’air », etc. But your remark is valid nonetheless.

I’ll react to the rest when i’ll have enough time to do so. =)

I’ll react to the rest when i’ll have enough time to do so. =)
[/quote]

Yes ! But people work to speak well, at least it’s what i’m thinking of… And redundancies are widely different from pleonasms. Pleonasm is a figure of style… But redundancy’s a mistake.
Thanks for reacting like you did… Okay, so i’m waiting for your answer. :wink:

"And redundancies are widely different from pleonasms. "

Hmmm…Pleonasms are redundancies by definition.

« Hmm… I actually made out vaguely what you wanted to say because, first you 1)didn’t mentioned a science which studies, researches differences between the main human races you enumerated.
However i guess human geography. ;) »

This science which seeks to clarify the relationship between race and behavior is commonly referred to as « racial anthropology » from what I have heard.

Charles Murray, author of the best-seller “The Bell Curve”, is one of the scientists known for his controversial works on race. His book is mainly famous for supporting the idea that the size of our IQ is determined by the race we belong to, to some extent. A theory that is also supported by a few other famous scientists such as Richard Lynn or J. Philippe Rushton. Rushton even states in his book called Race, Evolution and Behavior that differences in hormone levels and cognition, make specific races more likely to engage in criminal or unchaste behavior than others. Differences which, he believes, are mostly innate…
Of course, i’m not saying that he’s right, maybe he hates Black people or admires Asians too much, and so his conclusion may have been influenced by his feelings, but i’m just trying to show you that, apparently, scientific research has been done and is still being done on the subject :confused:

"Anyway, If it’s a science, known as it, that’s likely based on experiments, logical notions. Therefore, i cannot distinguish any form of racism. "

Even if the belief in the inherency of racial differences in ability and personality is based on objective research, I think it can still be considered racism. A person who believes in this is the definition of a racist after all, isn’t it?

« No, i’m not against them, 2)nor i’m for them. But if they’re just done in the way of finding new stuff, they could be at the basis of certain form of racism. Everybody’s different point of view, hence 3)a person might understand wrongly these studies. »

Then we pretty much agree. The results can indeed be misunderstood. Besides, if one race is found to have a natural disadvantage in a particular domain, the news could cause serious loss of self-esteem for the members of that race. So, I think I’m against these studies, unless there is a valid reason for conducting them.

« Obviously there are differences between human races. Visibly, a Black’s a black skin color, a White a white one… But anthropology tends to say that races are the effects of climate in the course of time. In any case, we’ve nowadays different customs, minds… »

Blacks are Black (or brown) and Whites are White, of course, but I was wondering if there were people on this forum who also believe racial differences aren’t just about color. Do you? In other words, do you believe these differences in customs, mindset, etc. are the result of purely cultural or environmental factors or do you think they are partly or entirely inborn and thus determined by the race you belong to?

Notes:

1. When using the past simple, only the auxiliary verb (« to do » in this case) is supposed to be written in the past (= you didn’t mention). You wrote the main verb (« to mention ») in the past too (= you didn’t mentioned), which isn’t correct.

2)When denying multiple things, the verb and the subject that come after the word “nor” have to be inversed => “I’m not against them, nor am I for them”.

3)You may either say: Auxiliary Verb => ** Verb => Object => Adverb**. (= a person might understand these studies wrongly)
or: Auxiliary verb => Adverb => Verb => Object. (= a person might wrongly understand these studies)
But AV => V => A => O (= might understand wrongly these studies) really isn’t a construction people use.